National Bowel screening programme
As part of the national bowel screening programme you may have recently received a letter and bowel screening kit-as your doctor we believe it is important that our patients receive relevant screening and strongly encourage you to submit your samples as soon as possible.
If you have recently received a testing kit it is because:
· You are aged between 60 - 69 years of age
· Bowel cancer affects 1 in 20 people in the UK during their lifetime
· It is the third most common cancer in the UK, and the second leading cause ofcancer deaths, with over 16,000 people dying from it each year.
· We know that regular bowel screening reduces the risk of dying from bowel cancer- taking part reduces your chance of dying from bowel cancer
· 80% of people who develop bowel cancer are 60years of age or older
· Bowel screening can also detect polyps that may develop into cancer
· Removal of the polyps can reduce the chances of developing bowel cancer
The original kit you were sent can still be used if it is unopened, however the samples need to be submitted within 14days of taking the first sample. If you require an additional kit please contact the Bowel Screening Helpline on 0800 707 6060
Once you have submitted your samples, you will be notified in writing of the results within 14 days. Please remember that abnormal results can be due to other conditions, it does not mean that you have cancer. You will be offered further investigations if you have an abnormal result
more details regarding the bowel cancer screening programme can be found at: